Blockly/Scratch for AdaFruit Circuit playground

I bought a circuit playground from Pimoroni. I'd like to give something physical to my daughter to experiment with programming. Then I realised my first mistake: There's a newer version that has support for graphical programming.

Anyway, maybe I didn't want something Microsoft: I have android tablets, and I'm much more likely to hack on something built with Blockly.

Perhaps something else will do in the meantime?

Ardublockly compiles to Arduino. Circuit Payground Scratch Computing, although it's not easy to run flash on a tablet any more...

This thread provides some starting points for defining your own code generator. It seems like the thing to do is define an interpreter for 'native' Blockly that runs in a micro-controller. I can have a wire encoding for that using canonical s-expressions.

Having come this far, I'm suddenly wondering if any of this is a good idea. I don't even think writing a loop is a good way to control things, so I don't particularly want to teach my daughter to do that at the age of 5, lest it prove unduly influential. So that's my second mistake, although it makes the first one irrelevant. The parcels have arrived now too.

I want a functional reactive environment. There does seem to be a thing to start from: Juniper. It's FRP for Arduino, but it's not graphical. Perhaps I can add Juniper support to Blockly.

Just to add to the work, I really also need MBed support for most of the devices I use.

Popular posts from this blog

3D Printer ramblings

Balance Bot V2

Robot arm