A rethink of the drill table fence

I'd made this very small wooden table with t-slots for my drill press. It's designed along the lines of various other's I've seen. The first version of the fence is a simple bit of aluminium angle. Here it is (after I've removed it):
 But it turns out that with some hold down clamps, you can use whatever you have to hand as a fence, and use scraps of timber as sacrifices. I just saw someone doing this in a youtube video, and realised that's what I needed.

I've found one place to buy these cheaply: the UJK technology ones at Axminster. I never quite get around to ordering from them because of the delivery charge, these are out of stock anyway, and also, there's no drawing or dimensions. I have a jig making kit (also from Axminster), so I just made these today, using the t-bolts and knobs from the set:
The design may not be that well thought out, but they work: it's not a difficult thing to implement.

The only problem is that the t-bolts aren't all that convenient when they aren't trapped in a track, but there's plenty of space under the table to put bits of track parallel to the slots, so perhaps I'll do that.

The other benefit of this is that it's way simpler to switch over to using a vice or v-blocks.

Popular posts from this blog

3D Printer ramblings

Balance Bot V2

Robot arm