3D Printers

After printing a few more parts, and being a bit frustrated at the latency, I've decided I probably could get some value out of a 3D printer.

I don't want to have to fiddle around too much with the build, so I've decided I want auto levelling, or a levelling sensor. I also want a heated bed, and a high temperature hot end so I can experiment with different materials.

I decided to weigh one of my parts, and found it was about 30 grams. At £16 a kg, that's about 50p worth of PLA, so I guess a 1Kg spool would go a long way. It cost me £6 to get the part printed.

Possible contenders:

Ooznest Prusa i3 kit £399
Prusa i3 Mk2 kit £629
Orballo Prusa i3 Steel £368

The Orballo has a few negative reviews, which they claim to have addressed. They also seem to attract complaints for slow shipping. It doesn't have auto levelling. On the positive side: they have an option for no-maintenance bearings which is appealing. The steal frame is well regarded. If you choose DRV8825 drivers, the claimed layer thickness is 0.05mm.

The Ooznest is a bit more vanilla, but does have overwhelmingly positive reviews. The instructions look better and get better reviews than the Orballo.

The Mk2 kit probably is the best: 0.05mm layer thickness matches the Orballo and is  half that of the Ooznest. It adds auto levelling, lists lots of supported materials, and has a new even heat bed. It can also calibrate itself, and then correct for skewed assembly during printing! That's a bit of a killer feature. Shortly there will be a 4 material print head kit available for it. It also has the biggest build area.

Here's a bit of a summary:

PrinterPriceWork areaDimensionsResolutionAuto levellingTempOther
Ooznest Prusa i3 kit£399.00200 x 200 x 1750.05none295
Prusa i3 Mk2 kit£629.00250 x 210 x 200420 x 420 x 3800.1autoSkew calibration
Orballo Prusa i3 Steel£368.00200 x 200 x 2000.05none300

Tables aren't easy in Blogger.

Anyway, I've delayed posting this for so long that my Prusa i3 Mk2 is going to arrive on Monday. Hopefully I've chosen well.


Popular posts from this blog

3D Printer ramblings

Balance Bot V2

Robot arm