Completing the set (BFW 40/E)

I decided to buy this because I wanted to try some milling. I still haven't tried that, but I thought I would mention it anyway - there's quite a lot to like about it as a drill:

Up to about 4K RPM, this machine is as quiet as a dentists drill. It's also really quiet actually drilling wood or aluminium (all I've tried so far). Certainly you'll be tempted to just wear ear plugs or skip ear protection completely. At 6K, it's still quieter that the drill it replaces, but you are going to want to put those ear defenders on again.

You can get a chuck that fits for less that a fiver. They might be exaggerating by calling it super precision but given how quiet the whole set up is, it must be pretty good. It's easy to switch it out for the collet holder as needed.

The collar fits very well, and this makes a noticeable difference to accuracy.

I had two goes at buying this. First time was an Amazon marketplace seller using Amazon for fulfilment. It duly arrived, but the speed dial got stuck at 3.5, so I sent it back. Amazon gave me a refund. They didn't want to send a replacement. Then I found it much cheaper from SatBerlin, which sell everything Proxxon at even lower prices than I've found before. Wish I'd found them before buying the stand and table. They dispatched promptly, but DHL seemed to loose the parcel for a few days, before finally delivering it.

Popular posts from this blog

3D Printer ramblings

Balance Bot V2

Robot arm