What bandsaw blade?

Turns out that bandsaw blades are made in very long lengths (10m+), then cut to length and welded into a loop. I don't have the equipment to weld them myself, but there are companies like www.justbandsawblades.co.uk who will weld custom lengths for you. I can choose any blade 6-13mm width.

It seems that I need to choose the the number of teeth by the thickness of the material. This is quoted as TPI. There need to be between 2 and 10 teeth in the material at once. I sometimes cut 1/8" angle. This is cut at 45°, so that's 3/16'. I guess that's 12-60 TPI. If I cut 20mm stock, I need 2.5-25 TPI. It seems like my actual choices are 14TPI or 24TPI. I don't cut 20mm stock very often, so it makes sense that's the outer limit of the blade. That means 24TPI.

I asked the helpful guys at Axminster, and they suggested 24TPI two, which is re-assuring, but I actually bought the blade from justbandsawblades.co.uk. Sadly I haven't got it yet.

The blade guide upgrade won't fit, so I'm going to try to make one. I think I can do it without getting the milling spindle. There will be more parts, but because it is all adjustable, precision isn't really an issue.


Popular posts from this blog

3D Printer ramblings

Balance Bot V2

Robot arm