Temperature and humidity

Recently the down pipes in my block of flats got blocked. The roof is flat, and a foot of water collected on it before it started to come in. Not just a bit: the flat upstairs flooded, with 2 inches of water on the floor. Our flat was the least worst affected.

Anyway, I now want to monitory the humidity in each room in the house.

A colleague of mine had written this, basically to settle an office dispute about air conditioning :). It's been through various iterations but it's using an ESP8266. Since someone else has done the hard work, I figure I'll use it. I've simplified it for home use, which is to say I just send data to Graphite over UDP, rather than MQTT. Even this modest change caused some pain: you have to copy the host name into memory before you can pass it to the UDP library? Anyway, I figured that out by reading the MQTT library.

I also used a different sensor - an AM2321 which seems to be regarded as generally superior to the DHT22. I didn't have any trouble getting that to work.

After just connecting it with some jumper jerky, I tried soldering something together. I seem to have dramatically reduced the accuracy of the device doing so, so the next version had better use some sort of connector.

I've used double sided perf-board because this one just happens to be the right size. I've got quite a few of those, bought cheaply from hong-kong.

This did also have a switching power supply and a battery connector. I removed that when I found it chewed through a 9V battery in 1 hour flat, and also got warm. It was right next to the sensor, so that was no good!

Popular posts from this blog

3D Printer ramblings

Balance Bot V2

Robot arm